A Selection of Progressive Bookshops
Buying books on-line has increased in popularity with Amazon dominating the market. However, Amazon has, quite rightly, been pilloried by the Ethical Consumer for bringing in a specialist union-busting consultancy firm to stop its workers from organising. You might remember this when you buy an E-Reader as the Kindle is linked to Amazon.
This consultative firm is The Burke Group and it proudly claims to offer help in such areas as "preventative labor relations and union avoidance." The low prices offered by Amazon may not, therefore, be wholly unconnected with low wages.
Before visiting the shops below we suggest that where telephone numbers are indicated you contact the shop for times of opening and to check the range on offer. Please contact the Secretary if you can add to this list.
- Northern Herald Books, 5 Close Lea, Rastrick, Brighouse, West Yorkshire HD6 3AR. Tel. 01484 721845. The official agents for the TUC’s catalogue of Congress Reports. Contact them for volumes up to 1995.
- Greenleaf Bookshop. One of Bristol’s oldest co-operatives it can be found at 82 Colston Street Bristol.
- Rebecca Books, 182 Habershon Street, Splott, Cardiff CF24 2LE. (Open first Saturday of the month 10.00-16.00 plus mail order service).
- Radish Books 128, Harrowgate Road, Chapel Allerton, Leeds LS7 4NZ
- Amnesty International Shop, St. Mary’s Street, Edinburgh.
- The One World Shop, under St. Johns Church, Lothian Road, Edinburgh.
- Word Power Bookshop 43 West Nicolson Street, Edinburgh EH8 9DB. Word Power is an independent and radical bookshop. Its online bookshop is an alternative to corporate bookselling chains and some online companies that ban trade unions.
- Centerpeace, Stockwell Street, Glasgow.
- Clyde Books, Parnie Street, Glasgow.
- Frontline Books, 73 Humberstone Gate, Leicester. Tel. 0116 251 2002 Frontline Books is a small independent bookseller located on Humberstone Gate (opposite Sainsbury’s) in Leicester’s Cultural Quarter, about two minutes walk from the Clock Tower and ten minutes from the Rail Station. It specialises in radical politics, sexuality and gender studies, literature, and black history
- News from Nowhere - A workers’ co-operative that is committed to social change, 96, Bold Street, Liverpool L1 4HY.
- Bookmarks 1 Bloomsbury Street, London. Tel. 020 7637 1848. Bookmarks is the official bookseller to the TUC and provide bookstalls at many trade union conferences and political meetings. Orders can be placed online.
- Centerprise 136 High Street, Dalston, London E8 Tel. 0207 254 9632.
- Four Provinces - The Original Irish Bookshop, 244 Gray’s Inn Road, London Tel 020 7833 3022.
- Freedom - the oldest Anarchist newspaper in the world. It has a bookshop at 84b Whitechapel High St, E1 7QX. Tel.
020 7247 9249
- Gay’s The Word, 66 Marchmont Street, London. Tel. 020 7278 7654.
- Housmans Bookshop, 5 Caledonian Road, London N1 9DX. Tel: 020 7837 4473 / Fax: 020 7278 0444
email: email@example.com Publishers of the annual Housemans Peace Diary, including the World Peace Directory.
- Pathfinder Books, 47 The Cut, London SE1 (Near Waterloo Station). Tel. 020 7401 2409
- Porcupine Bookcellar: second hand socialist books bought and sold. Housmans basement 5 Caledonian Road, London. Tel. 020 7713 1717.
- Silver Moon Book Shop, 64-68 Charing Cross Road, London. Tel. 020 7836 7906.
Sheffield’s Radical Book Emprium. Radical books, badges, nik naks and rebellion. Contact:firstname.lastname@example.org
- October Books, 4 Onslow Road, Southampton. Tel. 01703 224489 Email: A worker co-operative, the company also has a unit on Southampton University campus.
- Oxfam Bookshop, 34 Castle Street, Swansea. Politics, history and much more. Monday-Saturday 09.30-17.00.